News ID: 116747
Published: 0726 GMT April 27, 2015

Israel arrests several Palestinians

Israel arrests several Palestinians

Israeli forces detained 13 Palestinians in arrest raids across the West Bank and East Beit-ul-Moqaddas early Monday.

Three Palestinians were detained from East Beit-ul-Moqaddas when Israeli forces raided their homes in the Old City and Jabal al-Mukabbir village.

Sources told Maan that Mumen Hashimeh was detained from the Old City, while Ahmad Wissam Eweisat, 21, and Muhammad Ali Atta Eweisat, 18, were detained from Jabal al-Mukabbir.

The Eweisat family said that Israeli forces assaulted members of Ahmad's family during the raid, leaving bruises on his brothers Mahmoud and Muhammad and his sister Dana.

An Israeli police spokesman was unable to confirm the arrests, but said that he was aware of Israeli forces arresting two women at Al-Aqsa mosque compound for "causing disturbances."

East Beit-ul-Moqaddas remains tense after a 17-year-old Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces on Friday night.

The Israeli police spokesman said he was not aware of any arrests in connection with recent unrest, although he said Israeli police were carrying out patrols following attack.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces detained 10 Palestinians across the West Bank on Monday morning, sources told Maan.

Two Palestinian youths were detained from Jenin, and Hamas-affiliated Palestinians were arrested in Nablus.

A youth was also detained from Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem.

Six Palestinians were also arrested in Al-Khalil (Hebron) following the politically charged funeral of Mahmoud Abu Jheisha, who was shot dead outside the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron.

One Palestinian was detained from Abu Jheisha's hometown of Idhna in western Hebron, while five Palestinians were detained from Hebron for taking part in protests near the Ibrahimi Mosque.

An Israeli army spokeswoman was only able to confirm five arrests, including two in Jenin, one in Nablus, one in Bethlehem, and one in Hebron.

Meanwhile, hundreds of Palestinians took part in the Jerusalem funeral of teenager Muhammad Abu Ghannam, 17, on Monday, defying restrictions imposed by Israel authorities.

Israel had previously said they would only allow 70 people to attend his burial at a cemetery close to his home in Al-Tur, but hundreds turned out waving Palestinian flags and chanting slogans in support of protecting Beit-ul-Moqaddas.

Israel had delayed delivering the body of the slain teenager until 2 a.m. on Monday in a bid to impose size restrictions on the funeral.

Clashes broke out at the burial between mourners and Israeli forces and spread to Al-Tur's main streets, where soldiers fired tear gas canisters and rubber-coated steel bullets.

Abu Ghannam was shot dead by Israeli forces at a checkpoint in occupied East Beit-ul-Moqaddas before midnight on Friday.

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/0532 sec