0659 GMT May 21, 2019
The fifth day of negotiations between representatives from Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement and the former government began on Monday in Kuwait City.
"Significant differences in the delegations' points of view remain but nonetheless there is consensus on the need to make peace and to work intensively towards an agreement," Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said in a statement late on Sunday.
Both sides are reportedly still addressing ways to consolidate a ceasefire deal that went into effect on April 11, but have yet to address a political settlement yet.
Cheikh Ahmed said each side is expected to appoint an official to propose recommendations on how to sustain the ceasefire.
The Ansarullah movement said that the ceasefire should immediately end the Saudi airstrikes, but the government delegation insisted that safe passages should be opened to areas controlled by Houthis.
The inter-Yemeni peace negotiations in Kuwait opened late on Thursday. The negotiations had been planned by the UN to open on April 18, but were delayed over accusations of ceasefire violations from the parties to the Yemeni conflict.
Saudi Arabia has been staging military attacks against Yemen since last March to shore up the former Yemeni regime and undermine Ansarullah.
More than 9,400 people have been killed and at least 16,000 others injured since the onset of the Saudi aggression.