0606 GMT October 23, 2019
President Hassan Rouhani said Wednesday that international interest in ties with Iran has been growing since Tehran and the P5+1 finalized the comprehensive nuclear deal and started implementing it on January 16.
He made the remarks at a joint meeting with cabinet members and the country’s governors-general in Tehran on Wednesday, IRNA reported.
President Rouhani also praised diplomatic efforts made by the country’s negotiators involved in the nuclear talks with world powers as a result of which the Iranian nation’s rights have been recognized by the international community.
“The (Iranian) administration’s foreign-policy efforts over the past three years have been based on restoration and recognition of the people’s rights,” President Rouhani said.
He pointed to the July 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and the P5+1 group of world powers – Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany, saying that prior to the deal, major powers and international organizations denied Iran’s right to enrichment and claimed that Iran’s nuclear activities pose a threat to the international security and stability.
He added that today, however, not only they do not raise such claims but cooperate with Iran at the highest levels of nuclear activities.
In other words, the president said, Iran was able to make the world to recognize the country’s definite rights and its constructive role in the region through the nuclear negotiations.
He further said the objective behind the nuclear deal was to pave the way for boosting economic activities in the Islamic Republic.
The agreement terminated all nuclear-related sanctions imposed on Iran.
Legal measures to retake Iran assets
Rouhani said that his government took legal action in the International Court of Justice in The Hague to retake Iranian assets from the US banks.
The government is very sensitive to restore the rights of the people, he said.
On April 20, the US Supreme Court ruled that nearly $2 billion of Iran’s frozen assets had to be turned over to the American families of the victims of a 1983 bombing in Beirut and other attacks. The Islamic Republic has denied any role in the attacks.
Negligence by former govt.
Rouhani also called on the judiciary to hold legal proceedings against the former government over negligence to withdraw Iranian assets from the US banks.
He said that the former government is responsible for negligence over seizure of $1.8 billion of Iranian funds by the US.
President Rouhani said that the former government should have withdrawn Iranian funds from the US banks being aware of a variety of accusations by Washington against Tehran in order to isolate the country for political objectives.
"The Iran's judiciary, the Supreme National Security Council and other related organizations should hold inquiry into the case why the former government preferred inaction on withdrawal of the funds from the American banks while it had access to the funds for 10 months," Rouhani said.
The money, which belongs to the Central Bank of Iran (CBI), had been