A criminal court said that the TV series staff had caused the death of the boy by failing to notify the viewers about unsuitable content for young children in the film.
Alireza Afkhami, who directed “Five Kilometers to Paradise” for the Iranian Channel 3, said Monday that the death of Mohammad Mahdi Kouhi in 2010 could have not been caused by a scene in the film which showed a man hanging himself.
A court of appeal summoned the director, producer and assistant producer of the TV series as well as the chief of the Channel 3 in August long after they had been exonerated in proceedings related to the death of the 13-year-old boy. The prosecutors charged the staff with "indirect causation of death," saying they should have aired the serial with a parental guide notice.
The indictment said the boy had imitated one of the main characters of the film and hanged himself at home when he was left with his 6-year-old sibling. It said the boy was seeking to turn into a ghost, as it was depicted in the film story.
Afkhami said he and the film crew members were deeply saddened by the death of Mohammad Mahdi, but said it was a “completely wrong perception” that the boy was inspired by the scene in his act of suicide.
He said the staff and higher officials who ordered the production had observed all legal requirements and that age discretion was not an issue.
“As far as we know, the boy was hyperactive ... and warning messages are targeted at those who are balanced,” he said, adding that such legal cases could seriously hamper the production of similar shows and series in Iran.
Reports suggested that Davoud Hashemi, the producer of the film who bailed out in August, also attended the hearing on Saturday. He has also denied the charges.
The indictment, which is the first in of its kind in Iran, has taken many by surprise, as TV channels are under the direct supervision of the government.
However, if convicted, Channel 3 officials and the film crew will be responsible for compensating the family of the teenage boy.