News ID: 189864
Published: 0832 GMT March 26, 2017

Iran urges swift end to Saudi aggression against Yemen

Iran urges swift end to Saudi aggression against Yemen

On the second anniversary of Saudi Arabia’s brutal military aggression against Yemen, the Iranian Foreign Ministry says war and bloodshed must immediately end in the impoverished country.

“The power vacuum created as a result of war and military conflict in Yemen has prepared a suitable ground for the spread of the dangerous phenomenon of terrorism and the increase in the activities of terrorist groups in different parts of the country,” the ministry said in a statement on Sunday.

“This issue poses a threat to the peace, stability and security of the region and international community,” it added.

As confirmed by international figures and organizations, two years of a fruitless and destructive war against Yemen have victimized thousands of civilians, including women and children, and left more than 18 million people in need of humanitarian aid and some eight million Yemenis on the brink of malnutrition, starvation and famine, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said.

It added that the deliberate destruction of infrastructures in the impoverished country of Yemen and the constant bombardment of its medical and educational centers are among the other outcomes of this brutal war.

“Undoubtedly, the continuation of this situation not only would fail to benefit any country in the region but would also create regional instability and insecurity,” the statement emphasized.

It stressed the importance of implementing a proposed peace plan put forward by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in 2015 to help end the ongoing conflict gripping Yemen.

The statement called on the international community to step up its efforts and measures to relieve the suffering of the Yemeni people, particularly children and women.

During his visit to the Spanish capital, Madrid, in April 2015, Zarif proposed a four-point plan, emphasizing the Yemeni nation’s right to decide its own future free from foreign interference.

The proposal includes enforcing a ceasefire and halting conflict and bloodshed, sending humanitarian assistance to the people affected by violence, launching intra-Yemeni dialog, and establishing a broad-based government participated by all Yemeni factions, according to the Iranian foreign minister.

Yemenis attend a rally to protest two years of military aggression by Saudi Arabia, in the capital Sana'a on March 26, 2017. (Photo by AFP)

On March 26, 2015, Saudi Arabia began launching airstrikes on different areas across Yemen, its southern neighbor, in an attempt to reinstall the former Yemeni government, which was a close ally of Riyadh.

The campaign, which also involves ground operations and a naval blockade, has so far left over 12,000 civilians dead, pushing the Arab world’s poorest country to the verge of famine.

Indiscriminate Saudi bombardments have taken a heavy toll on Yemeni infrastructure, schools and hospitals, with prominent rights groups censuring Riyadh’s military for the use of internationally-banned weapons against Yemeni civilians.

As the war enters its third year, Saudi Arabia has failed to achieve its declared goals of war and seems without an exit strategy.

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/7149 sec