News ID: 200682
Published: 0138 GMT September 16, 2017

British police make arrest over London train attack

British police make arrest over London train attack
AFP

British police made their first arrest Saturday over the bombing of a London underground train, detaining a man at the country's main ferry port and describing the development as significant.

Thirty people were treated in hospital after the bomb detonated in a packed train carriage on Friday morning, in what was Britain's fifth terror attack in six months, AFP reported.

The improvised explosive device failed to detonate fully, according to media reports, but the blast inflicted flash burns on passengers while others fled in panic.

Police in the southern port area of Dover said an 18-year-old man had been detained and he is due to be transferred to custody in London.

"This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers," they said in a statement, outlining that the teenager was being held under anti-terror legislation.

Friday's incident – claimed by the Daesh terror group – led to the national threat level being raised to critical – meaning another attack could be imminent.

Prime Minister Theresa May announced late Friday that troops – 1,000 were deployed – would take on responsibility for guarding key sites, including nuclear facilities, to free up police.

In a statement, anti-terrorism chief Mark Rowley said officers were "chasing down suspects."

"Somebody has planted this improvised explosive device on the Tube. We have to be open-minded at this stage about him and potential associates," he said.

The critical alert terror warning was last used after the deadly suicide attack at Manchester Arena, also claimed by Daesh, in May.

British media reported that the bomb had a timer that it had failed to properly detonate.

Police said that they would not release any more details on the man arrested at this stage because of "strong investigative reasons."

Police officers are being deployed on the transport network and on the street across Britain.

Victims were treated in hospital although health authorities said none were in a serious life-threatening condition.

Only three remained in care on Saturday morning.

The area around Parsons Green station – a quiet and wealthy residential district, filled with chic cafes – was evacuated for most of the day.

Four previous attacks in London and Manchester this year claimed the lives of 35 people.

Three of those attacks involved a vehicle ploughing into pedestrians.

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/4060 sec