News ID: 201393
Published: 0328 GMT September 27, 2017

ACL final hopes fade as Reds thrashed by Al Hilal

ACL final hopes fade as Reds thrashed by Al Hilal
Al Hilal’s Syrian striker Omar Khribin celebrates after completing his hat-trick in the 4-0 beating of Persepolis in Abu Dhabi, the UAE, on September 26, 2017.

Persepolis hopes of a first ever AFC Champions League final place were shattered at the hands of Al Hilal as Omar Khribin’s hat-trick helped ensure Saudi Arabian giant will take a commanding four-goal lead into the semifinal second leg in three weeks’ time after posting a 4-0 first leg victory at Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium on Tuesday.

Persepolis had to go into the first-leg fixture missing some of its key players including the defensive pair Seyyed Jalal Hosseini (injury) and Mohammad Ansari (suspension), first choice holding midfielder Kamal Kamyabinia (suspension) and, most noticeably, the talismanic striker Mahdi Taremi, who had just been given a four-month suspension for breaching his contract with the Turkish side, Çaykur Rizespor, earlier in the week, reported.

After a lively opening, Carlos Eduardo should have put Al Hilal in front in the eighth minute but was denied by a fine save from goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand, before Nicolas Milesi’s effort zipped just wide 10 minutes later as the Saudi side took control of the game.

But Al Hilal did open the scoring on 31 minutes when Syrian forward Khribin popped up at the back post to head home Mohammed al-Burayk’s deep cross from the right.

Yasser al-Shahrani then doubled the advantage five minutes before the interval by drilling into the bottom right corner from 18 yards after good work from Salem al- Dawsari.

Persepolis was thrown a lifeline early in the second half, though, when Abdullah Otayf was dismissed for picking up two yellow cards in quick succession.

However in the 54th minute, Khribin nipped in behind the Iranian backline to produce a neat finish for his second – and sixth of the tournament – after a lovely low ball from Dawsari on the right.

The third goal proved to be a kick in the teeth for the Iranian Reds as the Persian Gulf Pro League champion looked to be frustrated and clueless in finding a way through Al Hilal’s backline.

Ahmad Nourollahi could have pulled one back with 15 minutes to play but saw his effort saved by Abdullah al-Mayoof in the Al Hilal goal, before Dawsari came close to adding another with 10 minutes to play but miscued from inside the box.

But the misery was not over for Persepolis as Khribin broke through its defense in the final minute to fire a fabulous low drive from 20 yards beyond Beiranvand to give the Iranian side a mountain to climb in Oman next month.


Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/5468 sec