1022 GMT December 18, 2017
The shootout occurred during a raid on a suspected terrorist hideout in the Sinai-bordering province of Ismailia, the ministry said in a statement, Reuters wrote.
It said the area was being used by terrorists to train and store weapons and logistical equipment for attacks in North Sinai.
Terrorists detonated a bomb and then gunned down fleeing worshippers in last Friday’s mosque attack, the deadliest in Egypt’s modern history.
No group has claimed responsibility for the assault, but Egypt’s public prosecutor linked Daesh to the attack, citing interviews with wounded survivors.
Six suspected terrorists were arrested as part of the operations, which also included a raid on an additional suspected terrorist hideout in the 10th of Ramadan, an area just outside of Cairo.
Since 2013 Egyptian security forces have battled a Daesh affiliate in the mainly desert region of North Sinai, where terrorists have killed hundreds of police and soldiers.
The Interior Ministry statement on Tuesday did not directly link the suspected terrorists targeted in the operations to last week’s mosque attack.