News ID: 206224
Published: 0324 GMT December 15, 2017

FM Zarif: US complicit in Saudi war on Yemen

FM Zarif: US complicit in Saudi war on Yemen

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif accused the United States of being complicit in Saudi war crimes in Yemen amid Washington's baseless claim that Tehran is providing supply of ballistic missiles to Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement.

"No amount of alternative facts or alternative evidence covers up US complicity in war crimes," Zarif said in a post on his official Twitter account on Friday, Press TV reported.

He added that the US has sold weapons to its allies enabling them to "kill civilians and impose famine," in reference to Washington's arms deal with Riyadh in its aggression against Yemen.

The top Iranian diplomat emphasized that Iran has been calling for "cease-fire, aid and dialogue" in Yemen since the conflict began in the impoverished country.

Zarif's post came after US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley claimed Thursday that a missile the Yemeni army had fired at Saudi Arabia last month was supplied by Tehran.

Also on Thursday, Zarif took to twitter to compare Haley’s allegations against Iran to those of former US secretary of defense, Colin Powell, who alleged in 2003 that former Iraqi dictator, Saddam Hussein, was hiding weapons of mass destruction in order to make a case for attacking the country.

“When I was based at the UN, I saw this show and what it begat...,” Zarif wrote as he posted the photos of Haley and Powell.

In another tweet, he called the so-called evidence presented by Haley “alternative facts and alternative evidence,” in a reference to and play on a widely-ridiculed phrase coined by US President Donald Trump’s adviser Kellyanne Conway.

Zarif reminded the world of US complicity in the “war crimes” being committed in Yemen.

“While #Iran has been calling for cease-fire, aid and dialogue in #Yemen from day 1, US has sold weapons enabling its allies to kill civilians and impose famine. No amount of alternative facts or alternative evidence covers up US complicity in war crimes,” the Iranian foreign minister wrote.

The anti-Iran accusations come at a time that the US and Saudi Arabia themselves are under fire for secretly providing weapons to the terrorists fighting the Syrian government.

 

Fabricated allegations

In a statement released on Thursday, Iran's UN mission categorically dismissed Haley's claim as "unfounded" and said, "This purported evidence ... is as much fabricated as the one presented on some other occasions earlier."

The Iranian Ambassador to the UN, Gholam Ali Khoshroo, also rejected his American counterpart’s claims and said the “show” Haley put up earlier in the day was merely meant to cover up Washington’s own supply of lethal weapons to the Saudi regime, which have resulted in the deaths of Yemeni women and children.

“Iran wants peace, dialogue and an immediate cease-fire and a halt to bombardments” against Yemen, said the senior diplomat, emphasizing that the US “must, above all, end its arms sales to Saudi Arabia.”

On November 4, a missile fired from Yemen targeted the King Khalid International Airport near Riyadh, reaching the Saudi capital for the first time.

The Houthi movement, which has been fighting back a Saudi aggression, said it had fired the missile but the Riyadh regime was quick to point the finger at Iran.

Tehran rejected the allegations as “provocative and baseless,” saying the Yemenis had shown an “independent” reaction to the Saudi bombing campaign on their country.

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/2529 sec