0955 GMT November 15, 2018
It was constructed in the 16th century, during the Safavid era; however, the bathhouse was damaged in 1778 by an earthquake and was renovated during the Qajar era, tasnimnews.com wrote.
The public bath is named after Imamzadeh Sultan Amir Ahmad, whose mausoleum is located nearby. Sultan Amir Ahmad Public Bath, extending over an area of around 1,000 square meters, consists of two main parts, ‘sarbineh’ (cloak room) and ‘garmkhaneh’ (hot bathing hall).
Sarbineh is a large octagonal hall, which has an octagonal pool in the middle separated by eight pillars from the outer section. There are four pillars in ‘garmkhaneh’, which form smaller bathing rooms all around as well as the entrance section to ‘khazineh’ (final bathing room) in the middle.
The interior of the bathhouse is decorated with turquoise and gold tilework, plasterwork, brickwork as well as artistic paintings. Most of the decorations of the public bath’s interior are in the ‘sarbineh’ area. The area connecting ‘sarbineh’ and ‘garmkhaneh’ was intentionally designed with multiple turns to minimize the heat and humidity exchange between the two areas.
The roof of the bathhouse is made of multiple domes that contain convex glasses to provide sufficient lighting to the public bath while concealing it from the outside.
The public bath was used as a traditional teahouse in the past. Nevertheless, today it serves as an Anthropological Museum.