News ID: 210736
Published: 0149 GMT February 27, 2018

Deputy FM blasts US allegations over missile supply amid anti-Iran resolution veto

Deputy FM blasts US allegations over missile supply amid anti-Iran resolution veto
Tasnim News Agency
Seyyed Abbas Araqchi speaks to reporters on the sidelines of a conference on water diplomacy in Tehran on February 27, 2018.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Seyyed Abbas Araqchi dubbed US claims over the alleged supply of missiles to Yemen to be "biased" amid the recent UK-drafted resolution, vetoed by Russia in the UN Security Council.

"I think that the biased nature of these allegations and the method for regulating expert reports of the Commission of Inquiry on Yemen and the UN Security Council is fully clear," Araqchi said Tuesday, adding that Tehran would continue its policy in the region as it "meets the governments' interests," sputniknews.com reported.

On Monday, the UK-drafted resolution, prolonging the sanctions against Yemen and a mandate of experts monitoring their implementation was voted on by the UN Security Council (UNSC). The document also included concerns about weapons allegedly originating in Iran, being supplied to Yemen despite an arms embargo. The draft was vetoed by Bolivia and Russia, while China and Kazakhstan abstained from the vote.

Commenting on the veto, US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley told reporters that the US and its partners would take actions on their own if "Russia is going to continue to cover for Iran."

After the UNSC failed to pass the UK-drafted resolution, Russia proposed its own draft later on Monday, which was subsequently and unequivocally adopted by the UNSC.

Russian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzia praised the UNSC decision to adopt the draft, noting that it would open possibilities for further joint work on the Yemeni settlement and the improvement of the situation in the region as a whole.

The Russian diplomat called for cooperation by key regional players, particularly Riyadh and Tehran, to settle the situation in Yemen.

The UNSC resolution aims to prolong the experts' mandate in Yemen, not to form an anti-Iran coalition in the region, Nebenzia pointed out.

The United States and Saudi Arabia have repeatedly accused Iran of supplying weapons to the Houthis in Yemen, a claim Tehran has consistently denied, however, admitting political support for the movement.

The Houthi movement has been defending Yemen against a bloody Saudi-led military campaign, which was launched in 2015 with the help of the US and the UK to reinstall the country’s former Riyadh-friendly government.

Since 2015, the Saudi-led coalition of mostly Persian Gulf countries, supported by the United States and the United Kingdom, has been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthis at the former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi's request.

The campaign, which is accompanied by a land, aerial and naval blockade of Yemen, has so far killed more than 13,600 people and led to a humanitarian crisis.

Human rights groups have repeatedly criticized the coalition, which controls Yemen's airspace, over the civilian death toll from the bombing campaign.

 
   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/5317 sec