Residents in north and west Yemen said on Wednesday that Saudi warplanes attacked their residence, farms and other facilities earlier in the day, killing and injuring scores of civilians, including children.
Four civilians were killed in an airstrike in the suburbs of the northern city of Sa’ada, residents said. The city is a major bastion of support for the Houthi Ansarullah movement, which controls the capital Sana’a and fiercely opposes the Saudi aggression.
Five girls were also killed in Saudi airstrikes targeting a farm in the west of Yemen in Hodaydah district, people on the ground said.
Hodaydah, a strategic port on the Red Sea, is also controlled by the Houthis. Saudi Arabia has effectively failed to push back the Houthi fighters from key areas they have controlled since the resignation of the former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi. Saudi authorities say the illegal campaign is meant to restore power to Hadi, who is now in exile in Riyadh.
At least 13,600 people, most of them civilians, have been killed since Saudis launched the aggression in March 2015. Much of the Arabian Peninsula country's infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war while hundreds of thousands have also been displaced as a result of the military operation, many of them now in dire humanitarian situation. The United Nations says a record 22.2 million people across Yemen are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.
The civilian casualties reported Wednesday comes amid some intensified Saudi airstrikes this week. More than a dozen people were killed Tuesday as Saudis attacked areas across Yemen, including at districts of Tuhayat and Sahar in Hodaydah province.