News ID: 211225
Published: 0550 GMT March 07, 2018

UN Chief urges safe access to humanitarian aids in Eastern Ghouta

UN Chief urges safe access to humanitarian aids in Eastern Ghouta

The United Nations Secretary General António Guterres in a statement has called for safe access to humanitarian assistance in Eastern Ghouta, UNIC-Tehran said in press release on Wednesday.

“He calls on all parties to immediately allow safe and unimpeded access for further convoys to deliver critical supplies to hundreds of thousands of people in desperate need, in particular to complete the delivery to Douma, including medical and health supplies, planned for March 8, in order to reach a total of 70,000 people, as previously agreed with the Syrian authorities,” spokesman for the secretary-general said in a statement attributed to UN Chief, IRNA reported.

“The Secretary-General reminds all parties of their obligation under international humanitarian law and human rights law to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure at all times and of the basic responsibility to ensure the necessary protection of all humanitarian organizations, personnel, facilities and other relief assets. The Secretary-General urges all parties to fully implement United Nations Security Council Resolution 2401 without delay, Stephane Dujarric.”

“The Secretary-General is concerned about continued reports of attacks throughout the besieged enclave of eastern Ghouta, which reportedly claimed the lives of more than 100 people on March 5, as well as reports of shelling of the city of Damascus. An inter-agency convoy by the United Nations, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the International Committee of the Red Cross, which was delivering life-saving humanitarian assistance to 27,500 people in need in Douma, eastern Ghouta, could not complete the delivery because of insecurity,” he added.

“As a result, 14 of the 46 trucks in the convoy were not able to fully offload critical humanitarian supplies. Nearly half of the food carried on the convoy could therefore not be delivered. Moreover, a part of the medical and health supplies to be included for delivery was removed by the Syrian authorities.”

“The only other inter-agency convoy to reach besieged eastern Ghouta this year took place on February 14, bringing assistance to 7,200 people. The Secretary-General commends the courage of all humanitarians working tirelessly to ensure that people in need throughout Syria receive life-saving humanitarian aid,” he said.

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/8153 sec