0716 GMT August 17, 2018
"In spite of some sporadic unrest, the situation in the city is under control in general," Esmail Tabadar told reporters in the provincial capital city of Shiraz on Thursday, Press TV reported.
Kazeroun had been the scene of unrest over the recent days amid protests against a plan by the local administration to divide the city.
The protests in front of a police station took a violent turn after people masking their face tried to enter the police station, leaving at least one dead and six wounded, Fars News Agency reported.
Some protestors set fire to parts of the station and police vehicles.
The province governor rejected social media reports about the number of casualties in the unrest, saying, "People should not pay attention to social media rumors. The figures about the number of casualties are not true."
Iran’s Interior Ministry also reiterated that the plan to divide parts of the Kazeroon county has stopped, describing the unrest as strange, IFP reported.
The ministry also expressed regret over the deadly incident.
In a statement published on the ministry’s website on Thursday, it said the ministry’s experts have travelled to the city several times to listen to the concerns of the people in Kazeroon and take them into account.
Considering demands by the people, the plan has been stopped and won’t be implemented until logical and genuine concerns of the Kazerooni people are addressed.
The plan, drawn up by a lawmaker in November 2017, aims to separate the ancient site of Bishapur, founded during the Sasanid era in 266 AD, and a few other landmarks from Kazeroun and annex them to the newly planned town of Kouhchenar.
The protesters say the landmarks are part of Kazeroun's identity and should not be separated.
During a visit to Kazeroun earlier this month, Tabadar had said that following objections to the demarcation, the plan had been shelved pending changes.