News ID: 217523
Published: 0215 GMT June 30, 2018

Ghani declares end to truce with Taliban, renews call for peace

Ghani declares end to truce with Taliban, renews call for peace
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani addresses a press conference in Kabul on June 30, 2018.

Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani formally announced an end to the government’s unilateral cease-fire with the Taliban, but urged the group to accept comprehensive peace talks.

“The cease-fire has ended, our security and defense forces are allowed to carry out operations,” Ghani stated on Saturday during a press conference at the presidential palace in the capital Kabul, Press TV reported.

Ghani said the cease-fire, which lasted 18 days after it was extended once and overlapped with the Taliban's unilateral three-day truce at the end of the holy month of Ramadan, had been "98 percent successful".

The three days of no fighting were unprecedented in the nearly 17-year conflict and triggered jubilant scenes across the war-weary country.

It saw unarmed Taliban mingling with government troops, police and civilians on the streets of Kabul and elsewhere.

Ghani said the cease-fire had shown that the majority of the group wanted peace and it was the "Taliban's turn to give a positive response".

"I am ready to extend the cease-fire anytime when the Taliban are ready," he said at a press conference.

The Taliban vowed Tuesday to continue their bloody fight against the government and their foreign backers, brushing aside rising civilian casualties.

The group returned to the battlefield last week after refusing a government request to extend their cease-fire, launching attacks across the country that have seen scores killed or injured.

The truce did not extend to the Daesh terrorist group, which has a relatively small but potent presence in Afghanistan, and launched two deadly attacks on cease-fire revelers during Eid al-Fitr.



Resource: Press TV
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/0533 sec