Mayor of the Gush Etzion Regional Council, Shlomo Ne'eman, said on Thursday that the construction of the new units will triple the number of settler population in the area, which lies directly south of Jerusalem al-Quds and Bethlehem in the central West Bank.
He added that the project includes 1,100 settler units in Rosh Tzurim settlement, located about 20 kilometers south of Jerusalem al-Quds, 600 units in Migdal Oz settlement, some 1,107 in Gevaot settlement and 1,200 units between Bat Ayin and Migdal Oz settlements.
The project is estimated to cost 18.9 million shekels ($5,195,610).
Less than a month before US President Donald Trump took office, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 2334, calling on Israel to “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territories, including East Jerusalem” al-Quds, Presstv reported.
About 600,000 Israelis live in over 230 illegal settlements built since the 1967 Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East Jerusalem al-Quds.
Palestinians want the West Bank as part of a future independent Palestinian state, with East Jerusalem al-Quds as its capital.
The last round of Israeli-Palestinian talks collapsed in 2014. Among the major sticking points in those negotiations was Israel’s continued settlement expansion on Palestinian territories.
Trump backtracked on Washington’s support for a “two-state solution” earlier this year, saying he would support any solution favored by both sides.
“Looking at two-state or one-state, I like the one that both parties like. I’m very happy with the one both parties like. I can live with either one,” the US president said during a joint press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington on February 15.