Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing an unnamed military official from the missile unit of the Yemeni army, reported that the gathering had been hit with a short-range Badr-1 missile on Thursday morning, adding that the projectile had struck the designated target with precision.
The official also said that the missile strike had inflicted heavy human and material damage, Presstv Reported.
The report added that two other missiles of the same type also hit gatherings of Saudi-led forces in Yemen’s central province of Ma’rib on late Tuesday.
Back on October 11, Yemeni forces also fired another Badr-1 missile at a Saudi military base in the Arab kingdom’s southwestern border region of Asir. Al-Masirah, at the time, reported that the missile attack left an unspecified number of Saudi mercenaries either dead or wounded, and inflicted damage to the base and its equipment.
The Yemeni army launches such missile attacks against Saudi targets in retaliation for a brutal war imposed by Riyadh and a coalition of its allies on the impoverished country.
The Saudi-led coalition, including the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, and Sudan, launched the military campaign in March 2015 in an attempt to reinstall Yemen’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and eliminate its Houthi Ansarullah movement, which has been running state affairs in the absence of an effective government besides defending the nation against the war.
The aggression initially consisted of a bombing campaign but was later coupled with a naval blockade and the deployment of ground forces to Yemen. More than 15,000 Yemenis have so far been killed and thousands more injured.
More than 2,200 others have also died of cholera, and the crisis has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster.
The aggression has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.
A number of Western countries, the United States and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.