0817 GMT November 12, 2019
“After contacts between the Islamic Jihad leadership and the brothers in Egypt it was agreed that a comprehensive cease-fire will begin immediately,” the Palestinian Islamic Jihad spokesman Daoud Shehab said.
“The Islamic Jihad will abide by the cease-fire if the occupation [Israel] does the same,” Reuters quoted the spokesman as saying.
The Palestinian Islamic Jihad said it had fired the rockets in retaliation for Israel’s killing of the Palestinian protesters on Friday, Press TV reported.
The Palestinian rockets were fired as the Israeli military said it had attacked 80 "targets" in the coastal enclave following fresh protests near a fence where five Palestinians were shot dead.
The Israeli military claimed that 13 out of the 34 projectiles, which were fired from Gaza over Friday night and Saturday morning, had been intercepted and the rest caused no damage or casualties.
Sirens were sounded almost a dozen times in the occupied areas adjacent to the Gaza Strip. The Israeli military said in a statement that it “views with great severity the rocket attack tonight against Israeli communities.”
Egyptian security officials have been talking separately to both sides in an attempt to restore calm along the border.
An Israeli military spokeswoman declined comment on Shehab’s remarks and there was no immediate response from other Israeli officials.