0436 GMT January 19, 2019
In mid-October, Congolese authorities said they were facing a ‘second wave’ of the outbreak centred on Beni, a town in North Kivu near the border with Uganda, AFP reported.
The epicenter had earlier been focussed on Mangina, a town around 20 kilometers (12 miles) from Beni.
In total, 257 cases had been recorded in the region, of which 222 were confirmed and 35 were probable, since the start of the outbreak at the beginning of August, the Congolese Health Ministry said in a bulletin dated.
On October 17, the World Health Organization said the death toll stood at 139, although it said the outbreak did not yet merit being labelled a global health emergency.
The second wave of the deadly virus has been attributed to community resistance to measures already taken to tackle the disease.
On Thursday, around 1,000 students marched through the streets of Beni to launch a campaign to fight Ebola.
Since a vaccination program began on August 8, over 22,000 people have been innoculated, of whom around 11,000 were in Beni, the health ministry said.
An Ebola treatment center in the city now had more than 60 beds, it added.
The latest outbreak is the 10th in DR Congo since Ebola was first detected there in 1976.