1132 GMT January 18, 2019
The buildings collapsed on Monday morning. Emergency services combing through the rubble have now found the bodies of three men and two women, according to Reuters.com.
Authorities had initially said that up to eight people might have been buried in the debris.
“We are continuing our work, in the hope of finding survivors,” Charles-Henri Garie, who is the head of the Marseille fire brigade service, told BFM TV.
Rescue teams at the scene said their work had been complicated by the fact that the collapse had destabilized other buildings in the area.
Authorities said they were looking into what caused the collapse of the buildings, described by residents of the area as dilapidated and in need of repair.