The comments came after the UN’s World Food Programme said it will nearly double food aid to Yemen to reach 14 million people a month.
“Unfortunately now you cannot use this as an indication to understand that there is real will and determination in order to end the tragedy which has been going on for over three years now. Unfortunately, the UN major countries that are permanent members of the UN Security Council, they are still providing the Saudis with the political cover they need in order to go on with this massacre,” Mohammad Obaid told Press TV in an interview on Friday, Presstv reported.
“When you see real opposition, when you see real stoppage of arms deals with the Saudi government, when you see real opposition at the political level by the heads of states of these countries, then you can expect to say that or you can then that these remarks are real honest and will be used in order to end the conflict there,” he added.
Saudi Arabia has been incessantly pounding Yemen since March 2015 in an attempt to crush the popular Houthi movement and reinstate former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of the Riyadh regime.
According to a new report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
The UN has estimated that up to 14 million Yemenis — nearly half the country’s population — will suffer severe food shortages over the next few months.
A number of Western countries, the United States and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.