In a post on his official Twitter account on Friday, Zarif said he has announced Iran's four-point proposal on the Yemeni crisis in April 2015.
"Today, after untold human suffering & war crimes by the Saudi coalition & its U.S. accomplices, & efforts to whitewash their crimes with absurd allegations against Iran, our four-point plan still remains the only viable option," the top Iranian diplomat said.
In April 2015, the Iranian foreign minister submitted a four-point peace plan for Yemen to the United Nations in an attempt to end the bloodshed in the Arab country, Presstv reported.
"It is imperative for the international community to get more effectively involved in ending the senseless aerial attacks and establishing a ceasefire," Zarif said in the letter, adding that Tehran is ready to cooperate with the UN “to facilitate and encourage an immediate end to these senseless bombardments and initiation of a genuine dialogue to find a political solution to this tragic crisis.”
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating military campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing the government of former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement.
According to a new report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.
During a press briefing in the Yemeni capital Sana’a on Thursday, UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock appealed for a halt to fighting in Yemen.
The UN official said the fighting has once again highlighted the ongoing humanitarian tragedy in the war-ravaged Arab country and said, "I'd like to see a cessation of hostilities, especially around the key infrastructure, especially around Hudaydah."
A number of Western countries, the US, France and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.
US President Donald Trump, who has touted the country’s lucrative purchase of arms from the US, has threatened to veto a bill on ending the United States' military support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen if it arrives on his desk.
The United States on Thursday displayed pieces of what it claimed were Iranian weapons deployed to militants in Yemen and Afghanistan.
Iran has always rejected claims that it is assisting Yemeni fighters in their war with Saudi Arabia in military terms, emphasizing that the crisis should be settled through diplomatic approaches.