“US & allies should cease their hypocritical absurdities abt Iran's missiles & regional “behavior”. Facts speak for themselves,” Zarif tweeted on Friday.
“It's they who sell $100s of billions in arms to butcher Yemenis & it's they & their clients — NOT Iran — who're responsible for miseries from Saddam to ISIS,” Zarif said.
The foreign minister’s comments came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed Wednesday that Iran's ballistic missile activity has been growing since the 2015 nuclear deal.
Addressing the UN Security Council, he also urged stronger international restrictions to prevent the Islamic Republic’s regional activities.
Following his Thursday tweet, Iran's top diplomat tweeted two videos of his speeches at the Mediterranean Dialogues, which were held in Rome last month.
In the videos, Zarif harshly criticizes the US for exporting billions of dollars of “beautiful weapons” to Saudi Arabia, which uses them to slaughter innocent people of Yemen.
On Saturday, Zarif strongly criticized the US policy of pouring weapons into the Middle East far beyond its real defense needs, warning that it has turned the region into a "powder keg".
“The Americans have turned the region into a powder keg. The amount of weaponry, which is sold on the part of the US, is unbelievable and quite a lot in excess of what the region needs,” he said.
Zarif cited a recent report noting that weapons supplied by the US and Britain had "fallen into" the hands of splinter groups in Yemen, “some with links to Al-Qaeda and Daesh,” asserting that the oversupply of the arms had not contributed to peace and security in the region in any manner.
Washington, Zarif said, is trying to portray the realities of the region “upside down,” resorting to “meaningless” accusations, and undermining Tehran’s relations with Europe.