News ID: 236908
Published: 0352 GMT January 05, 2019

Turkey says ready to give all documents to US probe team on Gulen

Turkey says ready to give all documents to US probe team on Gulen
DAILY SABAH

Turkey's justice minister said Ankara is ready to give all the necessary documents to an American judiciary delegation currently in the country for its ongoing investigation into the activities of the outlawed Fethullah Gulen movement, which is branded by the Turkish government as the Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO).

The delegation, comprising judiciary and law enforcement officials, arrived in Turkey on January 3 as part of the probe, Press TV reported.

An opposition cleric based in Philadelphia, Fethullah Gulen, is accused by the Turkish government of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Speaking to reports on Saturday, Abdulhamit Gul, the Turkish justice minister, said US officials in Ankara had requested to see some digital data on FETO's link to the deadly coup attempt, adding that Turkey had provided them with necessary evidence in this regard.

“Through evidence we presented to the US, we have seen that they were on-point demands. We will try to give all documents and information," the Turkish minister said.

Gul said the visit by the US judicial authorities was “important.” He added that the result of the investigation might affect the current extradition proceedings of Gulen.

"So, I think after what the US delegation witnessed, the US investigation [into FETO] will give way to different developments," Gul said.

The minister said that “political approaches are also effective in extradition issues. But our approach is judicial."

Gul also said the number of convicts and arrested suspects in trials and investigations directed at the FETO movement is currently at 31,088, adding that 241 out of 289 lawsuits had been concluded.

The Turkish minister said Ankara had requested the extradition of 432 suspects from 83 countries, adding that some 97 suspects had been extradited to Turkey from 22 countries.

During the 2016 coup attempt, a faction of the Turkish military declared that it had seized control of the country and the government of Erdogan was no more in charge. The attempt was, however, suppressed a few hours later.

Gulen is also accused of being behind a long-running campaign to topple the government via infiltrating the country’s institutions, particularly the army, police and judiciary.

The US-based cleric has denounced the “despicable putsch” and reiterated that he had no role in it.

The dissident cleric, now 77, has also called on Ankara to end its “witch hunt” of his followers, a move he says is aimed at “weeding out anyone it deems disloyal to President Erdogan and his regime.”

Ankara has long been pressing on its NATO ally for the extradition of Gulen and has already sent multiple extradition requests to Washington, but their demands have not been taken heed of.

 

 

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Resource: Press TV
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/5526 sec