0954 GMT July 23, 2019
“The suicide bomber and two elements of the terrorist team targeting IRGC forces were Pakistanis,” Commander of the IRGC’s Ground Force Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour said on Tuesday, identifying the bomber as Hafiz Mohammad Ali, Press TV reported.
The IRGC personnel were traveling between the cities of Zahedan and Khash, in Sistan-Baluchestan Province on Wednesday, when their bus was targeted by a suicide car bomb attack. The so-called Jaish ul-Adl terrorist group claimed responsibility for the bombing, which left 27 dead and 13 others injured.
Following the incident, Pakpour said, wreckage of the car, which had been used to carry out the attack, was delivered to police for further investigation.
Once the vehicle's registration was identified, members of the Quds Force launched an operation to arrest the terrorists and dismantle their support team, he explained.
Pakpour, who was speaking on the sidelines of a ceremony commemorating the martyrs of the terror attack, also said that three other members of the terror team were from Iran’s Sistan-Baluchestan, two of whom were in detention and the third one was still at large.
The IRGC general said the terrorist team was well equipped and had been working on massive attack schemes inside Iran.
Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi on Tuesday pledged that a harsh response will be delivered to the perpetrators.
Iran has so far received dozens of messages of condemnation and condolence from foreign governments and international bodies, including the European Union. The US and its regional allies have so far remained silent.
The US and Persian Gulf Arab countries on Thursday gathered in the Polish capital of Warsaw to attend an anti-Iran conference ironically entitled “Peace and Security in the Middle East.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said it was not coincidental that the terrorists attacked on the same day that the anti-Iran summit, organized by the United States, kicked off in Poland.