Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said a short-range and solid-propellant Badr P-1 missile hit al-Boqe'e base with great precision on Sunday evening, Yemeni Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
The source added that the missile strike left at least 40 mercenaries dead and tens of others injured.
The Badr P-1 missile was unveiled during a ceremony in the Yemeni capital city of Sana’a on October 27 last year. It is said to have a pinpoint accuracy of three meters, Presstv reported.
Earlier a number of mercenaries were killed and injured when Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees detonated an explosive device in the Bir al-Basha area of Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
Separately, Saudi military aircraft launched a series of airstrikes against residential buildings in the Nihm district of Sana'a province, leaving three women and an elderly man dead. A man suffered injuries as well.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing Hadi’s government back to power and crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
According to a new report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of about 56,000 Yemenis.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.
A number of Western countries, the US and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply Riyadh with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.