0946 GMT June 24, 2019
Several shops, fuel stations and some branches of private banks were open in Khartoum on Monday, but most of the capital and its key business districts remained closed.
Public transport buses were also running, while more vehicles and people were seen on the capital's streets than the previous day, Presstv Reported.
Most shopkeepers, traders and employees chose to remain indoors but those who came out said they had to earn their livelihood.
"If I work it does not mean that I don't support the revolution," said bus driver Abdulmajid Mohamed.
"I have to work to support my family or else we will have no money."
The campaign comes a week after a deadly raid on protesters in Khartoum left dozens dead.
On Saturday, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), a key protest group, announced a nationwide "civil disobedience" campaign, saying it will continue until ruling generals transfer power to a civilian government.
"The civil disobedience movement will begin Sunday and end only when a civilian government announces itself in power on state television," the SPA said in a statement.
As the campaign took off, protesters gathered tires, tree trunks and rocks to build new roadblocks in Khartoum. But riot police swiftly moved in, and fired tear gas at them.
The ruling military council has vowed to boost security forces on the streets after four people were killed in clashes on Sunday, blaming protesters for deterioration in security in Khartoum and across the country.
"The Alliance for Freedom and Change (umbrella protest movement) is fully responsible for recent unfortunate incidents... including blocking roads which is violating international humanitarian laws," Lieutenant General Jamaleddine Omar said on state television late Sunday.
"The Military Council has decided to reinforce the presence of armed forces, RSF (Rapid Support Forces) and other regular forces to help normal life return," the council member said.
RSF is blamed by witnesses for the killings last week as a sit-in protest outside army headquarters was cleared.
He said security forces would provide "security to isolated civilians, reopen roads and facilitate the mobility of people, public and private transport and protect markets and strategic state installations."
Sudan's military council seized power in April after ousting long-term president Omar al-Bashir on the back of months-long protests against his three-decade rule. Since then, it has resisted calls from protesters to transfer power to a civilian administration.
Several rounds of talks with the demonstrators finally broke down in mid-May.
In a bid to revive the negotiations, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed held separate meetings with the two sides in Khartoum on Friday, but three members of an opposition delegation that met the premier were later arrested.
Sudan's opposition groups have already accused “some Arab countries” of supporting the military council in order to protect their own interests in the country.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have already announced their support for the transitional military council. They have also expressed support for measures taken by the council following Bashir’s ouster.
Meanwhile, the African Union has suspended Sudan's membership in the pan-African body and warned junta leaders that further action will be taken against the country if power is not vested in a civilian government.