In a statement released on Saturday, Mousavi denounced the terrorist blast that hit Imam Mahdi al-Muntadhar Mosque in Al-Baladiyat neighborhood in the eastern flank of Baghdad near the densely-populated district of Sadr City, according to the Foreign Ministry’s official website.
Security sources said on Saturday that the bomb blast wounded at least seven people, correcting earlier reports of seven killed.
Police sources said on Friday the suicide belt or improvised explosive device had been used in the attack in the Baladiyat neighborhood, for which there was no immediate claim of responsibility, Reuters reported.
The toll was initially put at seven dead and more than 20 wounded. But police and other security sources said on Saturday the attackers had leaked false news of casualties through witnesses that police relied on for their reports.
It was a rare attack on a Shia place of worship in the Iraqi capital.
Baghdad’s security improved significantly with the defeat of Daesh terror group in 2017 and bomb attacks of any kind in the city have been rare since then.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, but it bears the hallmark of such attacks carried out by the Daesh.