Speaking at a briefing for journalists in Al-Quds, Patrushev said confirmed Iran’s statement that the RQ-4A Global Hawk had intruded into Iranian airspace.
The US claimed the drone, with a wingspan larger than a Boeing 737 and costing more than over $100m, was targeted in an “unprovoked” move as it was flying in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz.
On Thursday, Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) shot down the US spy drone that had intruded into Iranian airspace in the southern coastal province of Hormuzgan.
Shortly afterwards, Iran provided the map coordinates of the precise spot where the drone had been shot. The US first denied that any of its drones had been hit and acknowledged the shooting down only later. It took the US even more time to produce any map coordinates, claiming that the drone had been targeted in international airspace.
US President Donald Trump then ordered the US military to conduct supposed retaliatory strikes against several positions in Iran but then abruptly called off the attacks.
Iran, which collected the drone’s wreckage in its waters, offered more detailed information — including about the drone’s entire path and its launch base in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) — on Saturday.
Patrushev also said evidence presented by the United States alleging Iran was behind attacks on ships in the Gulf of Oman was poor quality and unprofessional, not enough to draw conclusions.
Patrushev, an aide to President Vladimir Putin, also said it was unacceptable to portray Iran as a threat to international security and called for restraint to help defuse the situation.
Reuters and Press TV contributed to this story.