News ID: 255678
Published: 0219 GMT July 12, 2019

Tehran urges London to immediately release oil tanker

Tehran urges London to immediately release oil tanker
Jon Nazca/REUTERS

A British Royal Navy patrol vessel guards the Iranian oil supertanker Grace 1 as it sits anchored in waters of the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, historically claimed by Spain, on July 4, 2019.

Hunt: Britain not seeking to escalate situation with Iran

Iran urged Britain to immediately release the Iranian supertanker it has illegally seized in Gibraltar, warning London against entering a “dangerous game with no end in sight.”

On July 4, Gibraltar police and customs agencies, aided by a detachment of British Royal Marines, boarded and impounded Iranian supertanker Grace 1 in the Strait of Gibraltar, upon a “request from the United States.”

The British and Gibraltarian officials claim that the 300,000-ton supertanker was possibly transferring up to two million barrels of oil to the Baniyas refinery in Syria in breach of EU sanctions against the Arab country.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi rejected the claim Friday, saying the tanker was not bound for Syria because no Syrian port could receive a vessel of such capacity.

 

 

“The documents and evidence and the contradictory remarks made by the British all indicate that London’s allegation, legally speaking, is not that significant and noteworthy unless they would want to enter into a dangerous game under the influence of the Americans with no end in sight,” Mousavi said.

Speaking in an interview with IRNA, the Iranian spokesman advised the UK against such a scenario “under the current circumstances.”

“We still demand that they release this oil tanker as soon as possible because that’s to the benefit of everyone,” he added.

 

UK reaction

 

On Friday, British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt said London is not seeking to escalate the situation with Iran, according to Reuters.

“We are reacting to what is happening in a measured and careful way and we are being clear to Iran that we are not seeking to escalate this situation,” he told Sky News.

 

 

However, Gibraltar police on Thursday arrested the captain and chief officer of the supertanker and seized documents and electronic devices from the vessel.

The capture of the Iranian tanker comes at a time of sharply increased US-Iranian confrontation in recent weeks. Washington has dispatched extra troops to the region to counter what it claims Iranian threats. Iran has vehemently rejected the US claim.

 

Region’s security capability

 

“Foreign powers should leave the region because Iran and other regional countries are capable of securing the regional security,” Mousavi said.

“... Iran has repeatedly expressed its readiness to hold talks with its neighbors to resolve disputes.”

Shortly after the seizure of Iranian oil tanker, Iran’s Foreign Ministry summoned Britain’s ambassador to the country to express its strong protest at the move.

At the Foreign Ministry, Rob Macaire was told that the British Royal Marines’ move was tantamount to “maritime piracy”, and that the UK must immediately release the oil tanker.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani also warned the UK about the “consequences” of the move, calling the action “very juvenile, heinous, and wrongful” and “to their [Britain’s] detriment.”

 

 

“I remind the Britons,” Rouhani cautioned on Wednesday, “you are the ones initiating insecurity, and will come to realize its consequences in the future.”

Following the incident, British ships operating in the Persian Gulf have been put on the highest state of alert amid fears that Iran may reciprocate the illegal action.

Britain is also sending another warship to the Persian Gulf.

A commercial ship, British Heritage, had been due to collect oil in Basra, Iraq, but abruptly turned around last Saturday on the basis of a British government advice.

However, the waters in which British Heritage was accosted belong to Iran, and it is not possible for British shipping to go through the Strait of Hormuz without entering Iranian waters.

On Thursday, the UK government claimed that a number of speedboats “belonging to Iran’s IRGC” approached British Heritage at the northern entrance of the strait and ordered it to stop.

The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) dismissed the claim that its naval forces tried to stop the British tanker.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also reacted to the allegations, saying they are merely meant to create tensions.

Those who make such claims attempt to “cover up their weak point,” he added. “Apparently the British tanker has passed. What they have said themselves and the claims that have been made are for creating tension and these claims have no value.”

 

UN calls for ‘maximum restraint’

 

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called for "maximum restraint" in the Persian Gulf region and warned all parties that a new confrontation "would be a catastrophe."

 

 

UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq reiterated the UN chief's plea to avoid any escalation when asked Thursday for Guterres' reaction to the developments.

Haq said the UN hopes all nations "will take steps to avoid" an escalation and confrontation.

 

Press TV, IRNA and Reuters contributed this story.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/6266 sec