News ID: 262251
Published: 0331 GMT November 29, 2019

Taliban says ready to resume peace talks after Trump's Kabul visit

Taliban says ready to resume peace talks after Trump's Kabul visit
AP

The Taliban said on Friday they were prepared to restart peace talks with the United States, a day after US President Donald Trump made a surprise visit to American troops in Afghanistan and said he believed the militant group would agree to a cease-fire.

Trump's Thanksgiving Day visit was his first to Afghanistan since becoming president, and came a week after a prisoner swap between Washington and Kabul that has raised hopes for a long elusive peace deal to end the 18-year-long war, Reuters reported.

"The Taliban wants to make a deal and we are meeting with them," Trump told reporters after arriving in Afghanistan on Thursday.

"We say it has to be a cease-fire and they didn't want to do a cease-fire and now they want to do a cease-fire, I believe. It will probably work out that way."

Taliban leaders have said that the group has been holding meetings with senior US officials in Doha since last weekend, adding they could soon resume formal peace talks.

On Friday, Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the insurgent group, said they were "ready to restart the talks" that collapsed after Trump had called them off earlier this year.

"Our stance is still the same. If peace talks start, it will be resumed from the stage where it had stopped," Mujahid said.

Trump canceled peace negotiations in September after the militant group claimed responsibility for an attack in Kabul that killed 12 people, including an American soldier.

"We are hoping that Trump's visit to Afghanistan will prove that he is serious to start talks again. We don't think he has not much of a choice," said a senior Taliban commander on conditions of anonymity.

There are currently about 13,000 US forces as well as thousands of other NATO troops in Afghanistan, 18 years after an invasion by a US-led coalition following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

About 2,400 US service members have been killed in the course of the Afghan conflict.

A draft accord agreed in September would have thousands of American troops withdrawn in exchange for guarantees that Afghanistan would not be used as a base for militant attacks on the United States or its allies.

 

 

   
KeyWords
 
Comments
Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Security Key:
Captcha refresh
Page Generated in 0/7372 sec