The Wall Street Journal’s report Wednesday indicated US attempts to increase tensions with Iran.
Dozens more ships, other military hardware and as many as 14,000 additional troops were supposed to be dispatched to the Middle East, Presstv Reported.
The figure would double the number of troops the Trump administration has sent to the region.
Navy Commander Sean Robertson, a Pentagon spokesperson, told Newsweek earlier in the day that, "We continue to closely monitor the activities of… in Iran, its military and proxies, and we are well postured to defend US forces and interest as needed."
Tensions ran high in the region after President Donald Trump pulled the US out of the internationally backed Iran nuclear deal and re-imposed illegal sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
John Rood, the Pentagon’s No. 3 official, has also made similar anti-Iran threats, according to Reuters.
"We also continue to see indications, and for obvious reasons I won't go into the details, that potential Iranian aggression could occur," he said. "We've sent very clear and blunt signals to the Iranian government about the potential consequences of aggression."
Tehran has maintained time and again that it stands ready to defend its interests in the region in the face of possible aggression by the US or its regional allies.