0332 GMT January 27, 2020
“We (recently) faced a highly organized attack on the e-government infrastructure,” Azari Jahromi told reporters on the sidelines of a cabinet session in Tehran on Wednesday, Tasnim News Agency reported.
The major attack was repelled by the country’s security shield known as the Dejfa firewall, he added.
In a post on his Twitter account back in June, Azari Jahromi said the country had managed to thwart about 33 million cyberattacks against its sensitive sites last year.
“Last year, we neutralized not a single strike but 33 million attacks with the Dejfa firewall,” he wrote, stressing that the US tries hard but has not carried out a successful attack.
According to head of Iran’s Civil Defense Organization Brigadier General Gholam Reza Jalali, Iran is taking legal action against the US over repeated cyberattack attempts and threats, while it is putting in place robust security measures to protect its vital infrastructure.
“The Americans have repeatedly threatened and mounted cyberattacks against us,” he told Tasnim in October.
“The legal implications of such actions could naturally affect them and Iran is seriously following up the issue at its juridical and foreign ministry capacities,” he added.
In 2018, Iran’s Civil Defense Organization made a series of arrangements to counter hostile US strategies and its potential move to block Iran’s access to the Internet.
Iran’s nuclear facilities have been targeted in the past. In 2010, Stuxnet, a cyber weapon widely believed to be made by the US and Israel, hit a uranium enrichment facility at Natanz, in the first publicly known example of a virus being used to attack industrial machinery.
Tehran later developed an indigenous firewall securing its sensitive industrial facilities against Stuxnet.