0237 GMT January 27, 2020
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said in a statement on Thursday night that such comments do not remedy the failure of some European countries to honor their commitments under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), besides their incapability to stand against "US economic terrorism" on Iran, Press TV reported.
“The world public opinion has not yet forgotten the country that armed former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein with the chemical warfare, which was used against Iranians and their Iraqi counterparts during the imposed war (1980–88) on Iran,” Mousavi noted.
The senior Iranian official added that people still remember how German riot police suppressed protesters on the eve of the two-day G20 summit in the port city of Hamburg back in July 2017, and how weapons are being funneled by certain European states to the Middle East, where they have brought about nothing other than war crimes, destruction and massacre of women and innocent children as seen in Yemen.
Mousavi also called on Berlin "to put honoring the fundamental principles of human rights on the agenda discreetly, comprehensively and neutrally, than to take up unprofessional and biased positions" against Iran.
He highlighted that the Iranian government welcomes the peoples' criticisms, saying, “The Islamic Republic of Iran sharply distinguishes enemies, those behind the murder of innocent people and their foreign sponsors from protesters. It will take the necessary measures based on probe findings and in line with respect for Iranians’ rights and sustainable security.”
Earlier in the day, Mass claimed that hundreds of people had been killed during the recent riots in Iran, and condemned security forces over use of force against rioters and anarchists.
False-flag killings in Tehran riots
Meanwhile, Iran’s top security official shed light on an enemy plot to increase the number of fatalities during the riots in several cities, saying most of those killed in Tehran Province were not even involved in any protest gatherings.
“More than 85 percent of the victims of the recent incidents in towns of Tehran Province had not taken part in any gathering and were killed with non-organizational firearms and cold weapons in a very suspicious manner,” said the Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani in a meeting with families of some of the victims of the riots in the western towns of the province on Thursday.
He added that there was certainly a plot hatched by “adversaries” to cause as many fatalities as possible and pin the blame on Iran’s security forces for the killings.
No official death toll has so far been released.
Commiserating with the bereaved families, Shamkhani said that government officials and authorities would make their utmost efforts to alleviate the suffering of the families.
He called on all governors general across the country to take necessary measures in order to investigate the deaths and compensate the damages incurred to the people.
In mid-November, the Iranian government raised gasoline prices in order to moderate the national consumption rate.
The move prompted some peaceful protests, but riotous elements, taking advantage of the circumstances, entered the scene, destroying public property, setting banks and gas stations ablaze among other facilities, and opening fire on people and security forces.
The director general of the anti-espionage department of the Iranian Intelligence Ministry said on November 27 that the country's security forces had arrested eight people linked to the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) during the recent riots over gasoline price hikes.
A number of elements that were seeking to collect information on the riots and transfer it to foreign countries were identified and arrested before they could carry out their mission, the official said.