0138 GMT August 18, 2019
In a statement issued late on Saturday, Yerevan warned Baku of consequences in case of more attacks, Press TV reported.
The defense ministry in Nagorno-Karabakh claims its soldiers were killed while repelling an attack by Azerbaijani forces on Saturday.
A statement by the ministry said that Azeri “infiltrators” crossed the buffer zone that separates the region from Azerbaijan and opened fire on the troops deployed to the region. At least two Armenian soldiers, identified by Armenian army as Karen Grigorian and Vartan Mkrtchian, were killed and another injured in the clashes between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the region.
However, an Azeri news websites quoted military sources as saying that it was Armenian troops who opened fire on positions of Azerbaijani armed forces in several villages. They said that Armenian forces had broken their ceasefire deal 39 times in 24 hours.
Multiple confrontations between Baku and Yerevan over Nagorno-Karabakh left tens of troops dead from both sides last year.
The two ex-Soviet Caucasus nations claim the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, which is largely populated by Armenians but located in Azerbaijan.
Ethnic Armenian forces took control over the enclave, which accounts for 16 percent of Azerbaijan territory, during a six-year war that broke out in 1988. An estimated 30,000 people were dead and one million displaced before the two sides agreed to a ceasefire in 1994.