The ‘Salvator Mundi’ could have had a starring role in the Leonardo retrospective, due to open on October 24 at the Musée du Louvre. However, it is becoming clearer by the day that it will once again be a no-show. With just under four weeks remaining until the opening, The Art Newspaper has learned that the loan has not yet been approved. Contrary to some media reports, the museum would have been delighted to include it, even at the last minute. But so close to the event, there is now a sad recognition that there is almost no chance that this will happen.
The Louvre announced its latest unexpected partnership. Earlier this year it partnered with Airbnb to let a visitor spend the night under the museum’s pyramid, and now the museum, which is consistently the most visited in the world, is partnering with the luxury cruise company Ponant to organize two cruises slated for 2020.
Protesters gathered outside the Louvre in Paris on Monday to condemn the museum's ties with the Sackler family, billionaire donors accused of pushing a highly-addictive opioid blamed for tens of thousands of deaths.
The Louvre in Paris closed its doors on May 27, turning away thousands of visitors, after security personnel went on strike. In a statement, the Sud Culture Solidaires Union said that the museum “is suffocating” due to the record number of visitors which totaled 10.2 million last year. “While numbers have increased by more than 20 percent since 2009, the museum has not got any bigger,” the union said.