The European Union foreign policy chief on Wednesday called it a “joint responsibility” to preserve the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, saying the deal serves the “collective interest” of all.
US special representative for Iran Brian Hook says Washington is seeking a Congress-approved agreement with Tehran to replace the 2015 nuclear agreement that President Donald Trump withdrew from last year.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)—the UN nuclear watchdog tasked with vigorously monitoring Iran’s nuclear program under the 2015 accord—confirmed this week that Iran exceeded the limit on its supply of low-enriched uranium (LEU). Unfortunately, with a few notable exceptions, reporting from many in the media on this development wasn’t great. Reporters and commentators portrayed Iran, not Donald Trump, as the primary provocateur, with many going so far as to claim, without any evidence whatsoever, that Iran is now racing to build a nuclear weapon.
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran’s decision to scale down its commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is indeed aimed at protecting the multilateral nuclear deal, not killing it.
Iran rejected on Tuesday a White House accusation that Tehran was long violating the terms of its nuclear deal with world powers, after the Islamic Republic said it exceeded a limit on its low-enriched uranium reserves set by the accord.