printlogo


کد خبر: 260280تاریخ: 1398/7/23 15:08
Koreas share the spoils in blacked-out World Cup qualifier
Koreas share the spoils in blacked-out World Cup qualifier
North and South Korea drew 0-0 in a historic but surreal World Cup qualifier on Tuesday, played in front of an empty stadium and almost completely blocked off from the outside world.

The showdown between the two sides – whose countries are still technically at war – took place at Pyongyang's Kim Il Sung Stadium with no live broadcast, no supporters and no foreign media in attendance, AFP reported.

Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min captained South Korea in the first competitive men's match to be played in Pyongyang but frustrated South Korean fans, who were not allowed to travel to the game, will have to wait days to see it on television – after officials bring back a recording on DVD.

"North Korea promised to provide a DVD containing full footage of the match before our delegation departs," the South's Unification Ministry, which handles cross-border affairs, said in a statement.

The only simple way to follow the match, which the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) had billed as "one of the most eagerly-anticipated fixtures" for years, was via the limited online text commentary posted on FIFA and AFC websites.

The minimal updates available, however, were limited to yellow cards and substitutions. Qatari referee Abdulrahman al-Jassim booked North Korea's Ri Yong Jik and Ri Un Chol, and Kim Young-gwon and Kim Min-jae from the South.

A photo posted on the website of the South's Korean Football Association (KFA) showed the match in progress with giant floodlights illuminating the empty stands.

Among the tiny number of spectators was FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who flew in to Pyongyang earlier in the day.

"It's a great pleasure to be here," Infantino, sporting a North Korean flag lapel pin, said as he was welcomed at the airport by the head of the North Korean Football Association, Kim Jang San.

The South Korean team had arrived in Pyongyang on Monday accompanied only by their coaches and support staff.

The delegation had to leave their mobile phones at the South Korean embassy in Beijing ahead of their departure, and reaching the team in Pyongyang has been a struggle.

"Nothing is guaranteed in terms of communication so we have to use whatever works at any given moment," a KFA official said, adding they were currently relying on emails.

 

 

 

 

 


لینک مطلب: http://www.iran-daily.com/News/260280.html
Page Generated in 0/0055 sec